» How to paint basketball shoes
How to paint basketball shoes
how to custom paint basketball shoesTikTok
Shoes for NBA rookie @tyresehaliburton 🔥 Tag you’re favorite nba team‼️ #VideoSnapChallenge #ASOSFashunWeek #nba #sacramentokings #roty #kyrie
62.2K Likes, 283 Comments. TikTok video from KingsCustoms (@kingscustom.s): "Shoes for NBA rookie @tyresehaliburton 🔥 Tag you’re favorite nba team‼️ #VideoSnapChallenge #ASOSFashunWeek #nba #sacramentokings #roty #kyrie". My thoughts while painting shoes for an NBA player! | Gotta wipe em down first | Quick base coat here | .... Pieces (Solo Piano Version).
Pieces (Solo Piano Version) - Danilo Stankovic
Loved this show as a kid 🤩 #Coming2America #customsneakers #nba #kingscustons #theboys
143.9K Likes, 1K Comments. TikTok video from KingsCustoms (@kingscustom.s): "Loved this show as a kid 🤩 #Coming2America #customsneakers #nba #kingscustons #theboys". My thoughts while making shoes for an NBA PLAYER! | Quick sketchy | I gotta order dark grey paint | .... We Can't Be Friends.
We Can't Be Friends - Dream Koala
Before you get all upset you sports fan you, remember I paint custom shoes. Cool cool. Go team. #customsneakerpainting #customsneakers #nikeshoes #sneakersformen #paintingtutorials #phoenixsuns #NBA #nbaplayers #phoenixarizona
348 Likes, 7 Comments. TikTok video from Mariah Lynn (@starkeycustomco): "Before you get all upset you sports fan you, remember I paint custom shoes. Cool cool. Go team. #customsneakerpainting #customsneakers #nikeshoes #sneakersformen #paintingtutorials #phoenixsuns #NBA #nbaplayers #phoenixarizona". BIG MAD.
BIG MAD - Ktlyn
Hopefully this helps! 🙏 #basketballshoes #sneakertok #kyrie #nba #nikebasketball #nikeshoes #bball #baller #ballislife #sportsdesign
119 Likes, 8 Comments. TikTok video from Veloce 👟 (@veloceofficial): "Hopefully this helps! 🙏 #basketballshoes #sneakertok #kyrie #nba #nikebasketball #nikeshoes #bball #baller #ballislife #sportsdesign". How to design custom Sneaker colorways (TUTORIAL) 🚨 | Hit the + for more sneaker content! 🤝. dance(256762).
dance(256762) - TimTaj
Reply to @big.ragu8 another re-upload because it flopped due to shadow ban #tiktokph #customshoes #kurokonobasket #anime #paintingtutorial #foryou
630 Likes, 29 Comments. TikTok video from shopee: theharemapparel (@patrickmonse): "Reply to @big.ragu8 another re-upload because it flopped due to shadow ban #tiktokph #customshoes #kurokonobasket #anime #paintingtutorial #foryou". Fireflies.
Fireflies - Owl City & Various Artists
Reply to @jakepolino How to paint shoes #shoes #kicks #custom #sneakerhead #diy link in bio
85K Likes, 391 Comments. TikTok video from Jake Polino (@jakepolino): "Reply to @jakepolino How to paint shoes #shoes #kicks #custom #sneakerhead #diy link in bio". original sound.
original sound - Jake Polino
How to customise your own kicks 👟 #howto #howtocustompaint #customisedshoes #NXIRE #packandpotions #hazey #underratedartist #sneakerartist #af1art
494 Likes, 17 Comments. TikTok video from TVN 🧙🏾♂️ (@tvnxire): "How to customise your own kicks 👟 #howto #howtocustompaint #customisedshoes #NXIRE #packandpotions #hazey #underratedartist #sneakerartist #af1art". Want to customise your own shoes? Watch this 🖌👟 | You’ll need: | Angelus Deglazer/Acetone | .... Packs and Potions.
Packs and Potions - HAZEY
Painted a pair for @theprofessor 👨🏽🎨🏀 #basketball #customshoes #art
632 Likes, 11 Comments. TikTok video from Cam Createz (@cam.createz): "Painted a pair for @theprofessor 👨🏽🎨🏀 #basketball #customshoes #art". . Basketball.
Basketball - Lil Bow Wow
this will be my last anime custom for now, will be working on other designs! 👟🎨 #tiktokph #customshoes #paintingtutorial #kurokonobasket #foryou
908 Likes, 108 Comments. TikTok video from shopee: theharemapparel (@patrickmonse): "this will be my last anime custom for now, will be working on other designs! 👟🎨 #tiktokph #customshoes #paintingtutorial #kurokonobasket #foryou". Kuroko‼️. original sound - Patrick Monserrat 🧑🏻🎨.
original sound - Patrick Monserrat 🧑🏻🎨 - shopee: theharemapparel
How To Paint Shoes | Empress of Dirt
These tips show how to paint shoes and add unique hand-painted designs to your canvas shoes or sneakers with acrylic paint. There are also tips for painting leather or vinyl shoes or trim. We’ve tested a bunch of art supplies and recommend our top picks.
This is part of the complete ebook, How to Paint Shoes: Beginners Guide to Painting Canvas Shoes with Acrylic Paint, now available to save to your device.
Create Your Own Hand-Painted Shoes
A few years ago my teenage daughter started customizing canvas shoes (which is now a business venture) and hasn’t turned back since. Since that time we have also painted shoes made from leather, mesh, and vinyl surfaces as well. These are our tips for best results.
If you’re like us, you may not want to buy new supplies for each project so we have listed several options in case you already own something that can work.
As new supplies come on the market we try them out and, if we like them, update this article to include them.
Our ebook, How To Paint Shoes, provides more information than we can fit in a blog post. It saves instantly and includes all of our tips. If you’re already experienced with acrylic paints on canvas, you probably just need a few ideas for specific materials to use (see below).
- Shoe Painting Art Materials & Supplies
- Planning Your Design
- Shoe Painting Steps
- Fixing Mistakes
How to Paint Shoes
A beginner’s guide for hand-painting shoes
by Melissa J. Will
Our best tips for creating hand-painted shoes on canvas, leather, and vinyl surfaces.
About This Ebook
This ebook is a digital file you save to your device (PDF format). It is not a physical product.
PayPal, Credit Card, Apple Pay
Shoe Painting Art Materials & Supplies
You can paint canvas, leather, mesh, and vinyl shoes (or a combination). Each type of material requires different preparations.
Options include Converse, Nike, Jordans or any other makes or models you like. You just need to know what type of material you are painting so you can prepare and paint them properly.
Converse Canvas Sneaker | Amazon
Nike Air Force Sneaker | Amazon
The base color or colors of the shoes does not matter. Most shoe parts are paintable except the soles. Shoe soles do not take paint well so just tape those off to protect them while you paint.
If you want all these tips in one handy file, get the ebook.
If this is your first time painting shoes, consider getting a test pair at a thrift shop to experiment on.
Test Your Materials First
Because there is no way for us to test every possible surface and finish, do this at your own risk and always test a small area first to be sure you are happy with the results.
2Paints and Primer / Preparer
We’ll first go over the supplies needed and then the step-by-step instructions.
For Canvas or Mesh Surfaces
Use these two products combined (1-part paint mixed with 1-part 2-Soft Fabric Medium).
You do not need to use any other products to prepare a canvas or mesh surface.
Angelus Leather Paints | Amazon
Angelus 2-Soft Fabric Medium | Amazon
Before Angelus Leather Paints were available, we created our painted canvas shoes with these items:
- Acrylic primer (to prepare surface) | All-purpose wall painting primer works great but you have to apply thin coats. You can also use Gesso (artist’s canvas primer).
- Acrylic paints | Golden (brand) is top notch quality – goes on beautifully. You can also use any acrylic paints sold at craft shops such as Decoart, Martha Stewart, Folk Art, artist’s acrylics, or acrylic wall paint.
- Acrylic Paint Thinner | Thin layers are key to preventing cracking and getting a good end result. Acrylic Paint Thinner is the same stuff used with airbrushing.
For Leather Surfaces
Leather surfaces must be prepared first with a product like Angelus Leather Preparer and Deglazer (which is a mild acetone) before they are ready to paint. Read more in the step-by-step instructions (below).
Angelus Leather Paints Leather Preparer and Deglazer | Amazon
Angelus Leather Paints | Amazon
Leather Preparer and Deglazer | Amazon
For Vinyl Surfaces
Vinyl requires 3 steps before it is ready to paint.
- Use sandpaper to gently roughen the surface.
- Apply Angelus Leather Preparer and Deglazer to further ready the surface.
- Then apply a clear Adhesion Promoter Primer (spray) made for vinyl, rubber, and other plastic surfaces.
Once that’s done, you can paint vinyl surfaces with Angelus Leather Paints.
To Protect Soles
The rubber or other composite material of shoe soles does not hold paint nicely. It is best to tape off areas like this to protect them from the paint.
Vinyl tape works best for covering curved surfaces but you can also use painter’s tape.
For Detail Work
You may already have favorite art supplies for fine or detailed work. These are some we love.
Pay attention to tip sizes! They range from fine to thick.
Markers for Filling in Colors
Posca Paint Pens | Amazon
Markers for Outlining
- Faber-Castel Pitt artist pens
- Prisma color fine-tip markers
- Sharpie Paint Pens
Note: Metallic markers may run when Scotch Guard is applied on top.
- Pencil for sketching design on shoes.
- Synthetic paint brushes suitable for acrylic paint.
- Paint tray, water cup for rinsing brushes, rag.
- Airbrush kit | for fast, even coverage.
For Protecting Painted Shoes
These are listed in order of preference.
- Angelus Acrylic Finisher – available in matte, satin, normal, and high gloss, or
- Scotch Guard for outdoor fabrics or polyurethane, or
- Mod Podge Outdoor, and any other durable sealant (must apply very thin layers).
Planning Your Design
- If you can paint it on a flat canvas, you can probably paint it on canvas shoes.
- Unless you’re an artistic daredevil, start simple.
- Pick basic designs you can fill with solid colors and outline with marking pen. From a distance, these simpler designs really look great.
- Go DaVinci on your second pair when you’ve had some practice.
Before You Start
- Try your design on paper first (to be sure you like it), then draw it on the shoes using an HB pencil.
- Heavy lines will show through the paint, so press lightly.
- And don’t forget to protect non-paintable surface like the soles and insides first.
Shoe Painting Steps
1Tape Off Non-Paintable Areas
- Remove shoe laces and start with clean shoes.
- Apply vinyl tape or painter’s tape to any areas you do not want to paint including the soles.
- Decide if you will paint the inside and prepare surface appropriately.
- If shoe is flimsy, stuff it with something like a rolled-up cloth to provide a sturdy painting surface.
- Apply Angelus Leather Preparer and Deglazer as directed on product using dust-free cloth. Allow to dry at least 15 minutes.
A Best method
- Paint directly on the surface with diluted paint (1-part Angelus Leather Paint mixed with 1-part Angelus 2-soft Fabric Medium).
B Old School Method
- Prime the canvas areas you will be painting with very thin layers of primer or gesso.
- Allow to dry completely (usually takes an hour) or use a hair dryer or heating tool to speed it up.
- You want the canvas covered in primer, but not so thickly that you lose the texture. The texture helps the acrylic paints “grab” the surface.
- Follow the 3 steps listed here: sand the surface, apply Angelus Leather Preparer and Deglazer, and the apply a clear Adhesion Promoter Primer (spray).
3Plan / Sketch Your Design
Draw your design(s) on the shoes using an HB pencil. Go lightly or the pencil will show through the paint.
4Paint Your Shoes
Fill in your designs with paint. Plan out your layers: will you do the background first or last?
Use marking pens to outline your designs and add details. Fan art, quotes, poetry, or graffiti: anything goes.
For a steadier hand, use a small rolled towel to prop up your hand in a good drawing position.
Consider using tape to block off shapes or areas for painting later.
Always allow paint or markers to dry thoroughly before doing the next layer.
A heated drying tool (at 300°F | 148°C) or hair dryer can be used to make Angelus Leather Paints dry faster.
5Protect Your Art
After your shoes are painted and you have allowed everything to dry thoroughly, it is recommended that you apply a protective finish.
These products are listed in order of preference. Test small areas first to be sure they won’t smudge.
A Best Method: Use Angelus Matte Acrylic Finisher, also available in satin, normal, and high-gloss finishes.
B Protect with Scotch Guard. There are several types: we use the one made for protecting outdoor patio fabric. Follow the product instructions.
C Alternately, you could use polyurethane, Mod Podge Outdoor, and some other durable outdoor sealant suitable for painted surfaces.
There are a few options for covering up mistakes or removing paint.
Cover Up Paint Mistakes
- Angelus white leather paint covers nicely.
- If you used primer, you can reapply it over top and repaint your design.
How to Remove Paint from Sole of Shoe
If you get acrylic paint on the sole of the shoe, it may be removed with one of these. I tested all of them on different shoes and each one worked.
Before trying it, tape over the good areas you want to protect.
You can find all of these products at home improvement stores:
• Methyl Hydrate (99.9% pure) | see Methyl Hydrate (also known as Methanol)
• Mineral Spirits | Not mineral oil
• WD-40 | Yes, the same stuff used as a lubricant.
Oh My Daisies! How To Transform Plain Shoes With Paint | DIY Project
And live long and prosper!
90,000 new life of your favorite shoes, or how to paint sneakers at home
07 September 2020 9,0003
Care for sneakers
- Five stages of preparation
- What paint to choose how to select
- paint sneakers at home
- Painting soles is a simple matter
- Features of repainting to another color
All footwear will eventually wear out. High heels, boots, moccasins, sandals, even fabulous walking boots do not stand the test of time. The same fate befell sneakers. From active wear, they wear out, the sole is damaged, gloss is lost.
Simple restoration work helps to tidy up a pair of shoes that you don't want to part with. Painting is one of the most effective ways to restore its former attractiveness.
Five preparation steps
The first step is to prepare the shoes for the dyeing process.
- Remove the laces and insoles.
- Get rid of residues of shoe cream, remove dirt.
- Degrease the surface to be painted with a damp cloth or a mild alcohol solution. This is done so that the paint lays down well.
- Dry at room temperature, stuffed tightly with paper.
- Cover with masking tape or film those parts that do not require painting.
Which color to choose
Sports shoes are made from a variety of materials. Lovers of an active lifestyle flaunt in suede, leather, fabric models. In recent years, eco-leather and nubuck have become widespread.
To dye your sneakers at home, you need to use shoe dyes. In this case, the paint must necessarily correspond to the updated material. For capricious nubuck, an aerosol is suitable, a skin coloring agent - cream or liquid, suede is treated with a special spray.
How to dye sneakers at home
- Leather sneakers. The smooth surface can be painted without much difficulty. The procedure is as follows: pour the cream into a convenient container, mix well, paint the intended areas with a brush, paying special attention to the folds and seams.
- Suede. Faded and frayed areas are perfectly restored with a suede spray. It is sprayed in a thin layer, then left to dry for 15 minutes. After drying, the pile is lifted, treated with a water-repellent agent.
- Nubuck. An even spray is the only way to paint nubuck models. The spray can should be held at a distance of 20 centimeters from the surface. The most important thing is not to forget to ventilate the room.
Secrets of dyeing cloth sneakers
Is it possible to dye cloth sneakers at home? Definitely yes. Working with textile shoes brings not only excellent results, but also a lot of fun. Knowing a few secrets will greatly facilitate the coloring process.
- A solid color is obtained by using powder dye diluted in water. The rubber sole should be thickly lubricated with petroleum jelly, lower the product into water for 10 minutes, fix the resulting shade in vinegar, rinse, remove the remaining petroleum jelly.
- Another way is to revive textiles with acrylic paints. This is a great opportunity to show your creativity. A great solution is to draw different patterns on white or black sneakers. Other colors are also used as a base.
- What else can be used to dye fabric? An alternative to acrylic is special waterproof markers. The drawings are very original.
Painting the sole is a simple matter
The sole suffers damage no less than the upper. Sudden temperature changes, drying near heaters, cuts, incorrect gait. All these factors lead to loss of elasticity, scratches, and rapid wear.
What paint to choose for the sole, and where to buy it? The same principles apply here as for the upper part of the sneakers. Specialty stores offer dyes in various shades, and their choice depends on the materials from which the soles are made.
Features of repainting in a different color
Manufacturers thoroughly impregnate sports models with dyes. Therefore, repainting requires knowledge of one law: it is much easier to make a white pair black than to lighten a dark one. And one more secret. A complete change in shade is possible only for a leather, suede, textile product. Other materials are more difficult to repaint.
If you follow all the instructions, then coloring will be easy and without much cost. Sneakers that have received a second life will serve their owner for many years.
Return to the list of publications
Painting leather sneakers at home
On the example of painting sneakers with professional shoe dye Tarrago Color Dye.
Specialized dyes for smooth leather save the appearance of shoes when the "native" paint wears off, the color fades or you want to radically change the design of sneakers.
The pretreatment of the skin differs somewhat depending on its structure.
— Genuine leather. Treat leather clothing and footwear with a cleaner to remove stubborn stains, residues of cream or protective coating that may interfere with the uniform color of the product.
- Synthetic leather. Wipe the surface of the synthetic leather with a cloth moistened with the cleaner, painting should be started immediately.
Consider staining leather with Tarrago Color Dye . It fills cracks and scratches, smoothing out damage. The structure of the skin is deeply impregnated, thanks to this, it is possible not only to color the product in the “native” color, but also repaint in any color .
Step 1. Cleansing.
Do not neglect the correct and thorough cleaning of the product, because this stage determines how the paint will adhere to the material.
First remove dust from the surface of the leather with a brush, then treat the surface with a cleaner.
Important! If you do not remove the old layer of cream, protective agent - the paint will lie unevenly and crack, which will reduce all efforts to zero.
If you don't plan to buy the purifier separately, buy set Color Dye Double , where it comes already complete with dye.
Step 2. To prevent from staining the sole of , cover it with masking tape to avoid staining.
Step 3. Stir with a brush until a uniform color is obtained.
Step 4. Painting. Wet the brush lightly and paint over the welts, stitching, scratches, ornament, etc. Pay special attention to scratches and scuffs.
Using a brush, apply a small amount to the sponge. Spread the dye with soft circular motions over the entire surface of the product. Dip the sponge in dye as needed.
Color Dye has a wide range of colors - more than 90 colors, including 9 metallic and 6 pearlescent. If necessary, they are mixed together to achieve the desired shade.
Step 5. Color alignment. When the first coat dries, apply a second coat to even out the color. Apply a third layer if necessary.
Step 6. Rinse sponge and brush in water after coloring.
Result: After drying, the skin becomes smooth and supple.
After 5 hours, the dye will be completely absorbed by and the dyed product will be resistant to dry and wet cleaning. When the dye is completely absorbed, the product is ready for use.
After drying, a flexible, shiny surface is formed, resistant to cracking, additional polishing is not required. A nice bonus is the water-repellent effect of the coating.
Not only shoes can be dyed with Color Dye, but also bags, belts and other accessories made of natural and synthetic leather:
90 dyeing a leather product, then
Color Dye will help make that happen. Save your old shoes! Be unique and follow your taste while the mass market makes everyone dress the same.
Unpleasant smell in shoes
The problem of sweaty feet and bad smell is a problem that requires more attention in summer.
How to clean sneakers
Proper cleaning of sneakers so that the leather does not crack and the sole does not fall apart after a month.